October 4, 2007

A Look Back Oct. 1-5

On Monday we journeyed to ancient India. We discussed the importance rivers played in ancient civilizations. Princess Poodle and Triple H enjoyed making mud bricks much like the people of the ancient Indus River Valley. We continued working in the double vowel/silent e reader and Princess Poodle read it with more fluency this week.

On Tuesday Princess Poodle went to Art/Music class. During this time Triple H and I got to spend some time alone. We played on a rope swing, played with Ninja turtles in the dirt and read books together. It was a great Mommy and Son moment.

On Wednesday we read two tales from India; Once a Mouse and One Grain of Rice. Here is Princess Poodle's dictation/summary for One Grain of Rice. Tell me what you think as I am not sure what to look for in dictation.
When I asked her to tell me what the story was about:
"Once there was a very greddy Raja. He didn't keep his promise. But a very smart woman had a great smart brain. The Raja rewarded her for bringing back some of the missing grain. She had 1 grain of rice, then 2, then 4, then 8 and it kept going on and on. That story teaches us that you should not be greedy and you should keep your promises."
Some elements were left out but all in all I think its pretty good.
The rest of Wednesday was taken up with Flu shots and church activities.

On Thursday we had our book club meeting for A Cricket in Times Square. The kids seemed to really get the meaning of the book and did a great job of discussing the setting, characters. etc. We watched a live webcam from Times Square, made a pet cricket, and watched the short animated movie.

Next week is Fall Break and I need the mental and emotional downtime. It has been a good week but a strange one. Math seemed too easy this week so we took an assessment and skipped some easy lessons. Princess Poodle still doesn't love phonics but likes to read and history is still the subject of choice.

As as for me....I'm dealing with a lot lately. I can't help but wonder what God is trying to tell me. Next weeks slow down will be a good thing. A time to be still and seek His face.
Have a wonderful weekend and thans for stopping by.

2 comments:

Lisa~ said...

Sounds like a great week to me! Love the pictures to go with it!

I pray you have a restful break so you are refreshed when you tackle your school schedule next!



Lisa~

LH said...

Nice pictures! Sounds like a great week to me also!