January 21, 2008

A Look Back: Silly clowns, Rome and More Paint

We are back in the swing of things with our second semester. I haven't gotten back to my weekly reports but here is an update of this week and last week combined.

Math: Princess Poodle is learning about line segments, double plus one facts and many other things. I truly like Saxon. So at this point I will stick with what is working for her. Today we pretended to be math detectives complete with magnifying glasses and found clues to locate and answer our doubles plus one facts. Triple H is now counting past twenty and can count objects up to 20 without missing a beat or skipping an object.

Language Arts: Princess Poodle's reading is taking off. I am amazed. She is reading, reading, reading. Her latest find is Nate The Great books. She read an entire book to me before bed one night.I swear this girl loves a mystery and practically jumps into the books we read. We continue to plug along in our Sing, Spell, Read and Write program now with less singing and alot less writing than required. I am giving Spelling Workout A a try to see if I like this format. I figure it will give Princess Poodle a review of her phonics rules and ease us into spelling. I have found her to be one of those kids that loves to write (stories etc. ) but insist that every word be spelled correctly. This makes it hard and I was hoping to add some journal time next year and I want her to just spell the best she can.
Triple H is learning his letter sounds with a new letter each week. This week we are studying the letter C. He loves having his own work. We are reading books about cows and clowns this week. The kids found it fasinating how milk was taken and made from cows. And we decorated our faces to look like clown faces. I can already see that he will be ready for handwriting next year as he is already forming his letters without instruction and doing ok on his own.



History: Story of the World...Alexander the Great was fun and the kids enjoyed making the Pharos lighthouse at Alexandria. This week we are on to Ancient Rome. Along with our maps, coloring pages and copywork we hope to do chariot races, read Magic Tree House: Vacation Under the Volcanoe, and anything else we can find time for. Princess Poodle is intrigued by all of this history but I can see concern in her eyes when things are unjust or unfair. As we edge closer to Christian persecution I pray God gives me wisdom on how to teach her and guide her in understanding and seeing His hand in all of this. His redemptive story woven through history..still something that amazes me.

And the really good stuff :LIFE: We enjoyed a wonderful trip to the N. Georgia Mountains to spend time with my family and play a bit in the snow. The kids enjoyed making snowballs and riding a 4 wheeeler with Papa while the snow came down. I enjoyed a brief walk alone through the field with falling snow. There is the quietness when the snow falls that I can't quite put into words other than a beautiful silence. It was good for my soul.
Now with life back to normal we juggle school, activites and painting. Yes I am painting. I am trying to finish up my kitchen renovation project. THe cabinets I refinished are done but the new floors and cabinets called for a more dramatic paint color and so I am applying 3 coats of a brick red color and I love it. Still alot of work to be done but I find painting somewhat cathartic and so I press on.

All in all school is going well. Reading, math, history and PreK3 are flowing nicely. And I continue to look forward to next year and what curriculum and path I will take with the kids. Have a wonderful week and thanks for stopping by.

1 comment:

Jay and Heather said...

Hey Sheryl,
The kids look great and so big! I love keeping up with what is going on with you guys.