March 5, 2009

MATH?

Why do I not like teaching this? I'm good at math. The kids like it for the most part. Princess Poodle catches on easily to most concepts. What is my problem? I love to teach history, science, writing, poetry, art, etc. So why not math? I find it so hard to do daily. I guess I should start doing it first. Maybe that's the problem. Get through the lesson and then I can teach what I want. Math is crucial and I know this. I just struggle with wanting to teach it. I thought about a math day, where we devote most of the morning to math but I know that daily exposure is very important. Any ideas out there for a mom that isn't that into math?

1 comment:

Kim said...

Hi Sheryl!
What do you use?
We use Horizons which I like because the lessons are so short, but dd still learns. And I've noticed, for us, when it starts to get to be a chore to finish...break out any sort of manipulative. I, personally, don't like using them a lot, but I do like them for a break.
What about taking Math outside? under a tree? your weather must be warming up too, I think we are close to each other. At least by region. I'm deep south too. and it's getting nice outside! I'm going to have to take read-alouds outside because I can't seem to get those done! :)
Kim