February 18, 2008

Homeschooling on a Sick Day

Today was Monday..the day we really try to get alot of the nitty gritty work done for the week. I like to accomplish a lot on a Monday to help us get a good start to the week and to give us some space to ease up as the week goes on and unexpected things occur. Well today both kids are sick...ear infections, wheezing, coughing, goopy eyes....just plain yucky! So how to school on a day like today when the kids are sick but with no fevers and therefore wanting to do something? Well due to Princess Poodles goopy eyes I knew writing and reading were out of the question so I chunked the lesson plans and ended up having an amazing day.

Princess Poodle is studying Georgia O'Keefe in her art class. So we printed off some pictures she painted and tried to recreate one of her works. Here's how they turned out. The first two are Princess Poodle's and the last one belongs to Triple H.





We also went on our first nature walk intended for school. We went to a local lake to feed the ducks and see what signs of Spring we could find. The kids had a blast feeding the Canda Geese and ducks. We observed the geese and took notice of their habits and surroundings. We didn't tote our journals with us on this outing but will definately paste some pictures in them as soon as we can. Here's a look at some of the feathery friends we made.







So a sick day of homeschooling turned out to be a great day of learning and exploring. I believe that I make homeschooling fun and enjoy history projects and holiday crafts. But I do believe that today was so enjoyable because of two things; there was more soul in the day and more natural interaction between the kids and myself. So I continue to search for a balance between structure and soul, between the nitty gritty and nature, between learning and living, between getting it and growing together...

1 comment:

Jay and Heather said...

Sounds amazing! You are such a great teacher and Mom, I wish all teachers could be like you. Maybe I will just ship my kiddos off to you so you could educate them ;)
Seriously though, your children are blessed to have you.
Lots of love,
Heather