March 4, 2008

Getting Back to Normal

Update on where we are

After three weeks of sick kids and the flu we are back on track with schooling this week. Here's an update of what we have been up to.

PreK3: Triple H continues to learn letter sounds. For the letter H we had crazy Hair day complete with colored hair spray. I even got in on the fun. Go easy on me with the pictures. This week we are studying the letter I. Maybe not politcally correct but we are reading books about Indians.




Math: In Saxon dd6 is covering counting with pennies and nickels. She is also subtracting two from a number, using her math fact wrap-ups for practice, and learning to measure in inches. We have around 25 lessons to go in Saxon 1..right on track. I have decided to drop the Meeting book for next year. We will start the day with prayer and praise song all together and then have a calendar time together. Ideas for Triple H and ideas from her 1st grade meeting book will be incorporated into calendar time.

Reading: Newest adventures Princess Poodle is reading on her own are the Nate the Great books. She can handle these pretty much all by herself except for about 5% of the words. She chose for her book challenge for book club to read a Magic Tree House book independently for the first time. We chose one that had a second grade level (she is in K) and hopefully she will enjoy her time and earn her free pizza.

History: We are studying some more about Ancient India. We read a tale from Ancient India called The Drum. DD wanted to narrate it orally and although I didn't write it down I was amazed at her retention. She must be an auditory learner..that girl doesn't forget a thing I read or say! Princess Poodle still does not like skipping around countries even though I have tried to explain the reasoning. I will definately be tweaking history for next year. We will be doing SOTW 3 but mostly focusing on American History in our home while she learns about the other chapters at co-op.

I have also ordered some curriculum for next year. Saxon 2 as well as the Get Ready for the Code and SOTW 3 books are on their way to our house. Is it horrible that I want to finish this year now so I can plan for next year and make the changes I want to make?

We haven't had a good chance for Nature Study this week. Hopefully we will have a great one next week as we are headed to the mountains...YEAH!


Thanks for stopping by.

No comments: