August 28, 2008

A New Attempt at Chores

I am notorious for good ideas that I don't follow through on. Its a bit of a personality flaw I have. Even with my projects..I often get just done enough to enjoy the immediate results and then I have trouble finishing the project once I have that initial satisfaction. So I have tried the chore thing with the kids and it stopped because I didn't follow through.


Well I am trying again. I don't want lazy kids and see some bad habits developing already.

We are going on our family vacation to Disney in October. We are beyond excited. I know everyone looks forward to a vacation; a break from the normal routine. But somehow I think for a homeschooling mom and kids that anticipation is magnifide. We are home ALOT. I work really hard with school and get very little time to myself and Papa works very hard at his job and church activities and we don't spend as much time with him as we want to. So with the week to Disney coming up I developed a chore chart and the reward for a day's chores done, DISNEY DOLLARS. I made up pretend ones and the kids can earn one a day if they complete all their chores for the day. List of daily chores are as follows; make bed, get dressed, brush teeth, pick up downstairs toys that have lingered and have room clean before nightime room check. The kids are really doing well and I'm sure the incentive is part of that. Hopefully some habits will be developed in this process. The kids can also earn dollars for extra chores like helping me on bathroom cleaning day, dusting for me, or if I catch them doing something really good for no other reason than doing the right thing. The Disney dollars they earn will be what they use for buying fun things at Dinsey like a Micky doll or light up sword. Here's hoping for some better habits this fall and maybe to knock some of that laziness out of them.


Thanks for stopping by.
A Picture of Me if the kids get their chores done!
A Picture of me if they don't....ha ha ha.

2 comments:

Jay and Heather said...

That is a great idea! I too have trouble following through. Caitlin and Corbin have both tried but the chores but it becomes more work for me than anything. But I know that they need to learn the responsibility! Keep posting :)

Lovely Littles Cottage said...

LOL!!! ok, i just stumbled on your blog when was was searching for a school table and saw your pic - thanks for sharing that - i love it!!

ok, your pics on this last post just cracked me up!! that is SOOOOOO me!! thanks for letting me know i'm not alone in that!! hahaha!