August 18, 2008

School Update

I tried really hard last year to do a weekly report of our schooling. Sometimes I found time other times I didn't. So I thought I'd try to do School Updates whenever I can. They might cover a week or maybe two or three. I'll post pics when I can and try to get in some of the kids.



Today has been a wonderful homeschool day. YOu know the the ones. Kids are up early and bright eyed and ready to school. We finished so much work this morning and all by 10 am. Princess Poodle is a schooling machine. She really stays focused for quite a long time for her age. Sometimes I feel that we are not schooling enough yet we seem to be getting so much done. Today is Monday and one of our lighter days meaning no history, science, or art scheduled in. Here is a breakdown of our morning.



School starts 8:30 after breakfast and kids are dressed.

Morning Meeting: we practice pledge, counting, money, math facts, theology questions, etc.

Math: We completed two Saxon lessons that really went together and we are still in the review lessons. Lessons were on patterns and creating some, some more stories, and some, some went away stories. For fun we used princess figurines and a tupperware bowl filled with water to be a swimming pool. All of our math stories were about swimming princesses. It was really fun and water makes anything more fun! Princess Poodle completed her fact sheet and daily worksheet with no problem while I helped Triple H on his Letter M pages from Get Ready for the Code. After he was done I let him play Nick Jr. on computer and went on to Language studies with PP. We completed two oral lessons from First Language Lessons, copywork from Writing with Ease, and she read the first chapter of A Lion To Guard Us out loud to me. This chapter book correlates with our history studies on Jamestown. So a great morning and done by 10 AM. We then went on to playdough via Triple H's request and then got some exercise skipping and singing to the Zip a dee doo da song on our disney cd. To top off the morning we headed to McDonalds (nasty I know) to get happy meals because they are Star Wars and even though the kids don't know Star Wars I had R2D2 underoos and love all the Star Wars movies. After lunch we read three stories from Old Mother West Wind which is a HUGE hit with both kids. And now they are tucked safely in their beds for an hour of rest time and I get to get on the computer. After rest its time to make homemade cookies together and take some to a friend to commend her first day of second grade.



We are in week three of our first quarter and it is going quite well. Princess Poodle loves history like last year. We are learning about explorers of North and South America and she is making her first lap book. I 'll post pics of it soon. She has learned her new poem The Caterpillar and recites it with quite the dramatic flair. Of course she does everything with a dramatic flair. You should have heard and seen her practicing softball last night. Can a softball player move like a ballerina and create stories while playing? Hmmm we'll have to see about that one.



In Science we are learning about mammals and incorporating this into our nature studies. We learned about squirrels and then went on a nature exploration in Gramma and Grandaddy's backyard in search of squirrels. She got to see how they use their front paws like hands, how they jump and leap when the move, how they circle up a tree instead of straight up, and how they can balance on a thin fence. Below is a pic of one of the squirrels we "caught".



Awana starts this Wednesday, softball very soon, Brownies (all homeschooling troup), and Co-op in September; she is going to be a very busy girl. I'm just so thankful that she is home with me and not away all day. I am thankful for the cuddling during our stories today. I am thankful for seeing her skip around the house in her undies(they get dressed I swear but it never seems to last) to the tune of Zip a dee doo da. I am thankful for Triple H saying out of the blue "You are the bestest Mommy in the whole world" I'm not but its nice to hear anyway. I am thankful ...why can't I show this more ..to my sweet hardworking husband, to my God.. both of which make this possible. I want to be thankful more and complain less. I want to be content and joyful more times than not. One day at a time...
Here he is. I think Grandaddy said his name was Henry. I had to snap the pic fast...they don't stay in one place for long.


THanks for stopping by

Sheryl

No comments: