October 7, 2008

For Mary

Mary, you left a comment on a post I have about First Grade Curriculum. I couldn't figure out how to respond to you so I thought I'd leave a message here in the hope's you would get it. I did do Ancients with my dd for Kindergarten. History is her favorite subject so she was enthralled. My suggestion is however, if you plan to do SOTW I feel that the early modern is a bit much for a 6 year old. I decided to use only the chapters that had to do with American History. I came up with a history plan that I used to have posted here but took it off because I never found the time to update it. Basically I used a spine, living books, videos, and projects, all which I found on websites, book lists etc. If I could do it over again I would start Kindergarten/First grade with a geography/culture year; I am thinking about Galloping the Globe for next year. I think this will be good for a foundation before starting into ancients and I think that it is easily made interesting for young learners. Then I would go into Ancients after that. I do remember last year during Ancients my daughter saying things like, "When are we going to learn about our country" etc. I guess "home" is more tangible to young kids than far off countries thousands of years ago. lol....Thats the great thing about doing a geography/culture year...when you come to the continent of North America you can spend as much time there as you want. You could even go into learning about your state etc. You could learn some basic early American History before you move on to another continent. I'm all about tweaking. So with my kids my "plan" is this.
2009/2010: PreK(5) and 2nd grade: Geography//Culture (GAlloping the Globe?)
2010/2011 Kinder (6) and 3rd: Ancients
20011/2012: First grade: 4th grade: Middle Ages/Ren.
2012/2013 2nd grade 5th grade Early Modern (American History time as well)
2013/2014 3rd grade 6th grade Modern

This would put the cycle staring back at Ancients when my dd is in 7th and my ds in in 4th.
I haven't thought yet about state history or what if our adoption of a third child comes in etc. To be honest now that I have typed this out it is freaking me out because the thought of my baby boy in 3rd grade and my sweet little princess in 6th grade is pretty scary!!!! I hope this helps and I hope you see this post. For everyone else that had to muddle through it I'm so sorry!
Sheryl

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are the best! Thank you. I just sat down and decided to check out your blog saw the title and thought.."how funny, that's my name!" And it WAS for me. You made my day!!I'm off to read it in full now. Thanks so much for taking the time to write it all out!!

Mary