December 10, 2008

Review: Disney's Our World


I received this book a few days ago and have finally gotten around to looking through it. The hardcover book is full of bright, beautiful color photographs of the people from each country. The book is divided into continents/regions and then subdivided into countries. I have chosen around 18 that I want to cover for next year. Each country has a section that talks about; Who we are, Our country, Our communities, what we eat, what we study, what we do for fun, holidays and celebrations, and then another section that changes depending on the country of study.

I believe this book will fit nicely into our countrie/cultures geography study next year. My only concern about the book is that it focuses on the beauty of each country. This is wonderful but the book does not show the plight of people in our country and other countries around the world. I really want both for my dd. I want her to see the beauty in other cultures and places but I also want her to see the hardships that exist around the world. I don't want to depress her with info that is too heavy for her young heart but I do want to open her eyes to the whole truth around us. I will have to supplement in order to fill in these gaps. Also the book covers most of the topics I want to cover for each country with government being the exception. I understand why they didn't go into governments in a book for elementry students, but I would like to be able to teach my dd about other types of governing that exist. I believe that this is important for many reasons but one being to help develop an appreciation for democracy and the freedoms God has allowed us to have.

I am excited to use this book next year. The whole geography/science/art/music lesson plan will be connected as much as possible and this book will be a part of that. Its starting to take shape. I want to start next year a little more prepared than this year. I want to have my copies made of the flags to color and the maps. I want to have my living books list narrowed down. I want to have a recipe for each country on hand and activites planned out. I want to have the artist focus planned for each country (this won't be for all countries) and an art activity ready aka The Usborne Art Treasury and Discovering Great Artists. I thouht I was planned out this year and to a degree I was but I really want to be more prepared for next year. I think this book will help. If library books fall through and don't come in on time I will have this book to read. It will be on my shelf and well used by the end of the year.

No comments: