December 1, 2008

The Usborne Art Treasury

In thinking about a direction for next years studies I have been searching for "spines, books that I will incorporate throughout the year. I came across a book by Usborne that I am truly excited about. It is the Usborne Art Treasury. The book contains around 20 artists and a picture of one of their famous works. Information on the artist and the piece is given and then a project for the students is laid out that is representative of the artist's work. I have been using a book similar to this from our local library (Discovering Great Artists). This book has great info on the artists and wonderful projects to create but fails to have examples of the artist's work. I went ahead and ordered the Art Treasury book..I feel that good about it. The kids seem to truly enjoy our art studies and I don't have many art books on hand. I am going to use this one woven into our cultural studies next year instead of getting the next Artistic Pursuits book. I ordered it off of Amazon and it should be here in a week or so. Yeah!! When I recieve the book I will go about organizing the artists according to their location, into my geography studies. I think they even include a famous artist that made African masks...so exciting. I will use the Art Treasury in conjunction with Discovering Great Artists projects. I also plan on having arts/crafts that we will make that revolve around the various countries of study as well.

I also want to focus on various composers for the first time next year which will mean purchasing some classical cd's and fitting these around the regions/countries we study. I hope to keep this simple. The kids and I listen to music during the preparation and eating of our lunch and sometimes in the evening. We have been gradually replacing the tv with music and they don't seem to even miss the lunch time cartoons. There is also a Wee Sing Around the World cd which I may purchase as well. The kids have truly enjoyed learning the songs from the Wee Sing America cd this year.

Thats all for now.

1 comment:

Ali said...

I just want you to know that I glean so very much from your blog. I always leave going, "I never thought of that...that's good stuff!" I look forward to your reviews. I've started a little bit in the way of planning for next year, but can't get the house back in order from our Thanksgiving away! Whew! Thanks for such great posts!