January 2, 2009

A Peek into the Soul of a Child


I have completely cut out morning cartoons. I used to turn on the tv first thing when the kids got up and we would watch them while I cooked breakfast and while we ate breakfast. This seemed normal to me at the time. Recently I have made some changes in our days. I just stopped turning on the tv in morning. Instead I put in some good music, sometimes jazz, sometimes classical, it varies really. I have the music playing softly in the background and now instead of tv, the kids and I talk, the kids talk (and sometimes argue, this isn't utopia). Well to get on with my story, on this particular morning while the classical music was playing, Triple H brought a phonics bingo game to the table and Princess Poodle brought pen and paper. She told me that she wanted to write a poem. I encouraged her to do so and to express what was in her heart, what she was feeling. The following poem is what she wrote. I am thankful for cutting the tv off, for this morning its absence allowed me a peek into the soul of my child. Now I wish I could express how that feels.


The wind to me is the king of the plains.
It swirls in the sky onpon(upon) the morning gray.
It plants the seeds of dandylions in an odd like way.
It plants the seeds of the dandylions in the morning gray.


It is very short but I think it speaks a little bit of what the soul of this precious little girl holds. I ache everyday as she grows up and I see the little girl she once was disappearing before my eyes, and yet I anticipate with such delight at the thought of knowing this amazing soul as she grows into the woman God has made her to be.

2 comments:

really.truly said...

Wow, such a big poem from such a little girl. Lovely.

Ali said...

We've begun to change up our mornings as well. I think I'm going to be blogging about discipline soon! :) It's amazing how the Lord shows us such simple changes that reap such a harvest! Princess Poodles sounds like quite and gem!...Triple H, too!