January 9, 2009

Thoughts on Jane..Part Two

It is over. I have finished the book and I must say that I was sad to turn the last page. To have to say goodbye to the fiery, benevolent Jane, to bid farwell to the passionate, wild, and at times sturn, Mr. Rochester. I will miss the bouncing curls of little Adele. I will miss the quick wit of Jane and the beauty of the groves at Thornfield. Oh how I long to walk in those groves at dusk and feel the wind come at me through the trees. I must not speak of plot here or I might ruin for one of you, what is to be a great journey in a book. I will say that the Jane Eyre is a work of art. Its characters are so well defined and so very different in personality and rank. I have had tea with a lowly school teacher. I have sat in a room holding a little orphan girl that was locked up and mistreated. I have laughed at the clandestine games of Mr. Rochester. I have wandered across a lonely and desolate moor with a friend in search of something, anything to eat. I have had spiritual conversations on the difference between truth and self-righteousness. I have observed faith in God in such very different forms. Faith rushing out the veins of a little girl on her dying bed, a faith that is pure and nonjudgemental. And I have seen the faith of a stern missionary that although loved God greatly, perhaps he loved his calling a little more than the people around him. A good book for me is one that moves me somewhere inside. Not for mere entertainment, those although pleasurable, are easy to come by. But a good book that makes my insides ache for truth, that makes my blood feel hot, that takes me away to a place that I can't quite put into words, a good book like that is truly a treasure and one not often found. So now I pack the book in my sachel and carry it back to the library. How long will it sit on the shelf undisturbed, just longing for some other young woman to pick it up? I will miss it immensely. But I plan to visit with my friends again this summer because the only thing better than reading a truly good book for the first time is when you get the pleasure of reading it again. Until then Jane...

Sheryl

2 comments:

Ali said...

Good grief that was an excellent summary! I'm going to check it out myself...I sure do love a great book!!! Thanks for sharing.

Ali said...

Sheryl,
After I clicked "publish your comment" I thought, "Good grief could carry a negative connotation...I hope that it is received positively and not otherwise." So, to soothe my weirdo mind...I just wanted to say, "It was a great summary!" :)