May 13, 2009

Hazel NUTS for sure

This month we are living up to our name Hazel"nut" Academy. Today we had school in the van, while eating tacos. Really, we did. We have had school outside, school in the library, anywhere but our school room. I just can't sit around a table in a room with four walls right now. May is our month of insanity I guess. Things are winding down. We finished WWE this week and now our main focus in on math. I am not really happy how Saxon has saved all the new material for the end of the year. Teach new concepts then have a four week break. That makes no sense at all. Why not teach the new concepts earlier and review at the end of the year. But I don't write the curriculum, or at least not the math one. So we will continue to have school this month but its a school for oddballs. We are reading Little House in the Big Woods as part of our pioneer studies. Studies which are really loose ended right now. We will cover reptiles and amphibians over the summer months but all in a very relaxed way. We will probably have school in a number of strange locations over the next couple of weeks because I just can 't be blocked in or tied to a chair right now. So we will sit under trees, read great living books, learn some math but not be pressed by it and maybe get in another session while eating tacos in the van. And for those of you wondering why we didn't go into Taco Bell to eat and have our lesson. Call me a freak but I just don't like eating in there.
Hope you have a wonderful and weird May everyone.

2 comments:

Heather Mattern said...

Wonderful post! I am exactly like that.. we rarely do school "sitting" anywhere especially in the "school" room! My favorite place to do school is sitting on a quilt in the backyard :)

Ali said...

You are NOT a nut...I don't like eating in there either...it feels, well...grimy...we do school all over!