May 22, 2009

The Planning has begun...

I have started my planning for next year which for us starts in July. Today I picked out three of the poems we will learn for next year and printed them out ready to be illustrated and go into the poetry notebooks. I will need to find easier poems for Triple H to memorize and he really wants too or I wouldn't bother. I have also just about finished my planning for the intro as well as England and France units of the countries and cultures study I am working on. I am excited about how it is coming together. We are going to create travel diaries/logs from our trip around the world this year. What will these include? A passport page where we will place a stamp (flag sticker) before each journey, maps of each country, a flag coloring sheet, dictation/illustration from some of our living books, artis info and activities, composer info, words to songs we learn, pictures of our cultural experiences ie english tea, mini tour de france, jap. hibachi grill etc., printed pictures of famous landmarks or people etc. What a notebook this will be at the end of the year!!! I might be jealous not to have one myself. I have already printed out the maps and flags for most of the countries we will cover. I still need to check which books are readily available on interlibrary loan. I need to find directions on how to have an english tea. Of course I will need an ongoing supply list. I would like something that we could color or print to put up on our world map for each country but not sure what yet. Why can't I get this excited over the three loads of laundry I need to fold? I would like to update the lesson planning page but don't have the time to type it all out right now. Hopefully that will happen eventually. So July we will do some stargazing and dreaming about the vastness fo God's creation and the diversity of His world. We will start off with an intro to geography covering hemispheres, continents, oceans, time zones etc. Then we journey over to England and France for the month of August. But first, summer break the month of June. I have to make plenty of time for icecream, swimming, playing barefoot and other adventures. Oh and hopefully a trip to IKEA for the bookshelf I am needed to hold all these wonderful, lovely books!!!!!
Thanks for stopping by.

3 comments:

Ali said...

WOW!!! We are just coming back as I am almost finished keeping our godson on a daily basis (since January!) I am so excited to get back to school and reading your blog makes me want to travel the world! Sounds like so much fun!!!

P.S.
I subscribe to you on a reader and didn't have any trouble with your site...was it shortlived?

Anonymous said...

Oh Sheryl - I can't wait to see all of this amazing stuff you are putting together. I will fold those three loads of laundry for you, and you can share with me all your wonderful ideas and things for next year! :) (i like folding laundry) :D

Kim said...

I'm finishing planning too. Although I wish I planned as throughly as you! I am so jealous that you are heading to IKEA. I'm desperate for affordable book shelves!!
Have you already posted your curriculum list?
kim