May 9, 2009

To My Momma

Happy Mother's Day to my MOMMA.

I am thirty three years old. The older I get the more things I notice about myself that are much like my Momma. Some of these are good, some not as good. I guess that is the case with all of us. Recently I have discovered a longing to be free, to be moving and tasting life around me. Its as if I want to drink it all in and have my kids do this as well. I think there is a "gypsy" like quality in my spirit, a longing to be free to roam that I didn't know was there. I think it has been hidden underneath multiple layers of fear, rules, and a need to please others. I have many things to thank my Momma for. My love of nature, wanting to be close to God's creation, is from my Momma. My ability to leave dishes in the sink while I paint with my kids and not to freak out when the house isn't perfect...that's from my Momma. My love of the written word, how poetry makes my blood feel warm...thats from my Momma. The ability to be still and to really see things and more importantly, knowing the necessity of that...its from my Momma. Having a child-like spirit and not caring what others my age and older think of my eccentric nature when I climb a tree with my daughter; in a skirt, ..thats from my Momma. so whether its from sharing her genes, the ones that God chose me to have, or whether its from the years I spent being near her; I have much in common with this young-hearted, brave, somewhat of a misfit, mother of mine. And I thank God that I do.
I love you Momma.
Sheryl

2 comments:

Lee said...

Oh child, it looks like you got the worse part of me...that gypsy spirit...it can lead to great adventures and many memories but it can lead to some BAD decisions too!

But deep down I would have to say, except for a few BAD decisions, my gypsy spirit has made life all the richer and I don't regret a whole lot.

My advise, never be afraid, learn from your mistakes but always be yourself.

Love, your momma

Lee said...

I forgot to tell you how much I love the new photo of yourself...it looks so much more like the Sheryl I knew from a long time ago....I see the excitement in your face and the gleam of life in your eyes...aside all that, you look BEAUTIFUL...bohemian but with class!

Momma