November 30, 2008

Review Galloping the Globe

I recently checked out a copy of Galloping the Globe from our library. I wanted to preview it before I purchased it and I'm thankful that I did. The book didn't have as much meat as I thought it would. The planning tips were very general and many quite obvious. For example, an activity listed for a certain country might be, Color the flag of Kenya. ..my thoughts were, "Well of course". I did enjoy reading the literature list however and plan on using many of the books listed. The science was almost entirely animals and although we will talk about which animals live in certain regions or terrains I want to focus more on types of environments such as rain forest, desert, corral reef etc. The Bible recommendations simply give scripture that relates to a certain topic. I really don't like to say that I was underwhelmed by any book. Someone worked very hard at putting it together I"m sure; but it just wasn't what I was looking for in terms of depth. I'll take some ideas with me and keep moving. Also, it was linked to the My Fathers World curriculum...I'm not sure why someone would need both of these. My Fathers World has a county and culture program themselves.
My final decision has not been reached for next year. Usborne has a potential curriculum guide but most likely I will end up cooking this one up myself. I think I can without too much effort formulate a plan for the different continents and countries. Usborne does have many books I am interested in such as; Usborne Art Treasury, World Geography, Wild Places and Living World Encyclopedia. I could order these, add in Dinsey's Our World and Tales from Around the World , Wee Sing Around the World, for example and have a great starting place. I will continue to search for the right fit.

No comments: