November 10, 2008

Book Review: Facing The Lion: Growing Up Maasai

I read this book as one of many that I am reviewing for next year's Geography study. The Maasai, a beautiful people group, are from Kenya. My dh traveled there several years ago on a mission trip and we have wonderful pictures and some items he brought back with him. After reading the book which is one man's experience of growing up a nomadic Kenyan..I believe it will be a little much for dd who will be 8. One chapter focuses entirely on the ritual of circumcision and although it is not overly graphic I feel it might be too much for her. Other chapters are excellent in describing the relationships of the people and the importance of hunting and lions. So my final decision
1: Check it out from the libray and read certain chapters to her for discussion
2. Explore the wonderful photographs that depict the real character of the book.

I will look for some picture books related to Kenya for ds and will also use my husbands scrapbook that I made him on his return from the mission trip.


As for Material World: I must have this book for the pictures alone. It covers a specific family and how they live in a certain country. Beautiful photos that if one takes the time to see the details will gather much information on the condition of the families etc.

That's all for now. Off to make pancakes and start what I hope will be a wonderful week of school. I'll be back to posting school updates, pics, etc. this week.

Sheryl

No comments: