September 28, 2008

Hazel"nut" Academy Update

Today was the first day of Co-op as some call it. Its really a private Christian school that has classes for homeschoolers on Tuesdays. Princess Poodle will take History (SOTW), Science (biology), Art, and Music. She had a wonderful first day. Princess Poodle can struggle with being "shy" when she feels out of place. She really is quite the talkative, inquisitive, often corny little girl but if she feels on the outside of things she closes up completely. I pray she will come to feel comfortable there on Tuesdays. Today she came home telling me all about Spanish Conquistadores and told me that history is her favorite subject.





Last night Papa, Princess Poodle, Triple H and myself went bug hunting. We used a white sheet and a massive work light to create a bug haven. We were after moths mostly but ended up with moths, grasshoppers and one big black cricket! Triple H fell in love with this one old, slow (he would just sit on his hand)brown grasshopper. He reminded me of some granddaddy grasshopper. Slower, wiser than the little green "teenage" grasshoppers that dart around and are afraid of human hands. Maybe this "granddaddy" grasshopper has been in his share of nature studies and knows he won't be hurt. The kids loved the nighttime bug hunt. It made me miss camping and long to take them.







In other school news: Math: Saxon 2 is going well. Nothing too exciting but we are getting it done. Princess Poodle seems to be making progress with her math facts now that the timed portion of the drill is gone. I am really liking Writing with Ease and consider it a winner so far. It includes copywork from good literature, narration exercises from portions of stories, and I add in a few things like picture study and creating a simple story based on the picture, as well as dictation of a simple sentence. We are leaving science for a bit except for our nature study on the changing leaves etc. and will be starting Native Americans and Pilgrims in the next couple of weeks. Tomorrow we will make spears and read in our history encyclopedia. I think the kids are going to enjoy this segment of American History. I hesitate to say we are in a groove because life always has a way of changing that groove but we seem to be doing well most days. I am already looking into possible direction for history/culture study next year. I am considering Winter Promise Children Around the World but then again that is a long way off. I have so many things running around in my head I apologize if this entry has been choppy. Thanks for stopping by.






Oh and Autumn is in the air. I can feel it coming. The leaves are losing their vibrant green color. The air has a hint of coolness in it. I planted my mums. And my heart is beating a little faster. Autumn does that to me everytime!


Sheryl


Countdown to Disney: 18 days!

No comments: